Ponte Severan

Ponte Severan



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.


A ponte Old Severn pode ser renomeada para marcar o jubileu da Rainha & # x27s

Os conselheiros em South Gloucestershire debaterão a moção em uma reunião na quarta-feira.

A rainha abriu a ponte em 1966 e celebra o jubileu em 2022.

O membro conservador de Severn Vale Matthew Riddle está por trás da moção e disse que queria que a região "andasse a milha extra" para marcar a ocasião de "maneira adequada".

Se a moção for apoiada, o Sr. Riddle pediu ao líder do conselho, Toby Savage, que escrevesse ao Secretário de Estado dos Transportes Grant Shapps, para formalizar o pedido.

& quot Tendo servido como um símbolo de liderança e esperança para o nosso país nos tempos bons e ruins por mais tempo do que qualquer governante na história do nosso país & # x27s, parecia apropriado que South Gloucestershire se esforçasse mais para encontrar uma maneira de marcar The Queen & # x27s notável 70 anos no trono de maneira adequada, & # x27 a moção diz.

& quotEspero que sim. o governo pode considerar a possibilidade de renomear a ponte Severn, indiscutivelmente South Gloucestershire & # x27s marco mais icônico, em sua homenagem. & quot

A decisão de renomear o Second Severn Crossing a Prince of Wales Bridge em 2018 recebeu críticas de alguns parlamentares galeses e uma petição online atraiu milhares de assinaturas.

A mais nova das duas pontes foi aberta pelo príncipe em 1996, 30 anos após a travessia original.

O reinado de 70 anos da Rainha & # x27s será celebrado com um fim de semana de feriado bancário de quatro dias, de 2 a 5 de junho de 2022.

Para criar o fim de semana prolongado, o feriado bancário da primavera do final de maio daquele ano será movido para quinta-feira, 2 de junho, e será criado um feriado bancário adicional na sexta-feira, 3 de junho.

Uma ampla gama de eventos públicos será realizada, medalhas do jubileu serão concedidas a funcionários de serviços públicos e árvores serão plantadas como parte das celebrações.


Ironbridge Village

O local onde a Ponte de Ferro foi construída formou um importante ponto de transporte na região de Shropshire, o que prontamente causou a criação dos primeiros edifícios, e logo após a formação da vila de Ponte de Ferro. Hoje, esta vila faz parte da freguesia de The Gorge, no distrito de Telford e Wrekin. Por estar localizada no coração de Ironbridge Gorge e diretamente ao redor de ambas as margens da Ponte de Ferro, as primeiras décadas da história da vila foram totalmente dedicadas ao apoio à indústria local de mineração e processamento de carvão e ferro. A vila foi promovida aos turistas como " Berço da Revolução Industrial, "e um local onde pessoas de toda a Inglaterra pudessem vir e ver o processo revolucionário de fundir ferro com coque a baixo custo. Claro, os historiadores modernos concordam que o processo da revolução industrial na Inglaterra não começou na região imediatamente em torno de Ironbridge vila, mas em muitos locais e com influências de muitos inventores e empresários.

O maior ponto industrial perto da Ponte de Ferro foi, sem dúvida, Fábrica de fundição de ferro de Darby, que ajudou a agilizar o processo de fundição de ferro antes de ser substituído pela produção mais econômica de outras regiões da Inglaterra. Embora a área em torno da Ponte de Ferro não tenha desempenhado um papel tão importante na história da produção de ferro inglesa, a mera existência da impressionante ponte de ferro fundido, a primeira feita com um material de construção tão pesado, é hoje considerada importante pedaço de história.

Imediatamente após a construção e inauguração da ponte em 1781, esta região começou a atrair cada vez mais atenção. Pessoas do povoado disperso de Madeley Wood foram realocados para a Ponte de Ferro, e com eles veio o antigo mercado de Madeley, a construção da nova praça da vila, um novo hotel que deveria ser usado por turistas e viajantes, e vários edifícios ligados ao novo centro comercial e administrativo de Coalbrookdale. A encosta acima do rio apresentava um chalé de pedra do século 16 em Lincoln Hill, e vários chalés de trabalhadores e um grande número de casas georgianas construídas por ricos senhores de ferro, proprietários de minas, famílias de negócios e até mesmo várias vilas criadas pela rica elite da era vitoriana. No século 19, a vila cresceu e ganhou vários edifícios mais notáveis, dos quais o mais importante era a Igreja de São Lucas. Foi concluído em 1837 com decorações de design de Samuel Smith de Madeley e vitrais de David Evans de Shrewsbury. Durante o século 19 e mais da metade do século 20, o lado sul da vila de Ironbridge abrigava a antiga Ponte de Ferro e a estação ferroviária de Broseley que operava na linha Severn Valley (GWR) de Hartlebury a Shrewsbury.

Em meados do século 20, a Ponte de Ferro e a área imediatamente ao seu redor tornaram-se parte de um Patrimônio Mundial da UNESCO, tornando-se uma grande atração turística. Hoje, grande parte da vila é voltada para o turismo, com muitos festivais centrados em torno da ponte. O evento anual mais popular da vila é Coracle Regatta anual é realizada em agosto no Rio Sever.

Broseley

Broseley é uma pequena cidade em Shropshire, Inglaterra, localizada na margem sul do desfiladeiro de Ironbridge, perto do rio Severn e o local onde Abraham Darby III e Thomas Farnolls Pritchard ergueram a famosa Ponte de Ferro e essencialmente criaram uma vila de Ironbridge em torno dela. A cidade de Broseley desempenha um papel importante na história da Ponte de Ferro. A área ao redor da cidade era bastante famoso pela mineração de pedra, metal e outros minérios, e os senhores de ferro daquela região ficaram muito interessados ​​em construir melhores estradas para o resto das regiões da Inglaterra. A indústria era tão forte nesta região que a cidade de Broseley ainda detém a reivindicação da ferrovia mais antiga já produzida na Inglaterra.

A cidade também foi importante para os desenvolvimentos no processamento de minério de ferro. O mestre de ferro Abraham Darby I desenvolveu seu processo influente de fundição de ferro usando carvão de coque nesta área (alimentando assim o surgimento da Revolução Industrial), e foi enterrado lá após sua morte em 1717. Além disso, Broseley também foi um lugar onde o industrial inglês John Wilkinson construiu o primeiro barco do mundo com ferro.

Com uma indústria tão forte, não é estranho que os senhores de ferro de Broseley e outras cidades da região exigissem melhores pontos de acesso e estradas para transportar suas mercadorias para o resto da Inglaterra. Abraham Darby III começou a planejar a criação da Ponte de Ferro enquanto morava em Broseley, e grande parte de sua construção foi supervisionada neste local. Depois que a ponte foi construída, a cidade continuou a prosperar, mas na segunda metade do século 19, a grande presença industrial afirmou diminuir, e toda a área ao redor do cidade entrou em declínio financeiro, deixando para trás inúmeras minas abandonadas, edifícios, montes de cava e pedreiras.

A cidade de Broseley e toda a região se recuperaram da difícil situação financeira apenas na segunda metade do século 20, depois que a cidade de Telford foi estabelecida nas proximidades, do outro lado do rio Severn. Esta cidade de rápido crescimento levou a região à reconstrução, muitas novas casas foram construídas, empresas mudaram-se, elevando a população da cidade para quase 5 mil (quase ao nível que tinha durante o auge da revolução industrial, dois séculos atrás).

Madeley

A Ponte de Ferro também teve um grande impacto no desenvolvimento da cidade de Madeley, Shropshire, que hoje é apenas uma parte da recém-desenvolvida cidade de Telford. Fundada algumas vezes antes do século 8, Madeley foi inicialmente definida como uma cidade mercantil até o século 14, quando o carvão foi descoberto em 1322, e a extração de ironstone começou em 1540. Durante as décadas seguintes. A cidade se torna cada vez mais investida em facilitar o comércio e a mineração, o que foi grandemente impulsionado com a construção da famosa Ponte de Ferro na Garganta de Ferro e no Rio Sever. Esse ponte conectou Madeley com Coalbrookdale, permitindo não apenas tempos de viagem mais rápidos, mas também um impulso rápido para o crescimento da vila de Ironbridge recém-desenvolvida.

Hoje, a freguesia de Madeley é o lar de quase 18 mil pessoas, e uma parte significativa da Garganta de Ferro está protegida por ser considerada Património Mundial da UNESCO.


FRAMPTON ON SEVERN fica 9 milhas a sudoeste de Gloucester, em uma curva do rio Severn. É amplamente conhecida por sua espaçosa área verde, chamada Rosamund's Green em homenagem à amante de Henrique II, Rosamund Clifford, um membro da família intimamente associado a Frampton do século 11 ao 20. O Rio Severn forma um dos seis lados da freguesia, o curso anterior do Rio Cam marca a fronteira sudoeste, Wicksters riacho a sul, a estrada Gloucester-Bristol a sudeste, o Rio Frome a maior parte a nordeste, e o Canal de Gloucester e Berkeley segue aproximadamente a fronteira noroeste. (nota 1) A área da paróquia, excluindo a orla do rio, era de 2.365 a., (nota 2) incluindo 1 a. que era anteriormente uma parte separada de Wheatenhurst e foi adicionada a Frampton em 1882. (nota 3) Em 1935 43 a. da paróquia formando um pequeno promontório a leste da estrada Gloucester-Bristol foi transferido para Eastington. (nota 4)

O terreno é plano e baixo, principalmente abaixo da linha de contorno de 50 pés, e aumenta para 100 pés apenas em um ponto na fronteira leste. Encontra-se principalmente nas argilas e cascalhos do rio e anteriormente era drenado pelos riachos mencionados acima e por pequenos alimentadores, mas as obras humanas mudaram o padrão. O curso do Frome foi alterado no ângulo leste da paróquia, por Fromebridge Mill, e também, em um trecho mais longo, uma milha a jusante. Mais fundamentalmente, o Canal de Gloucester e Berkeley leva toda a água que antes corria ao longo do Rio Cam a oeste da linha do canal, e as obras de drenagem reduziram os riachos menores a fossos. (nota 5)

De tempos em tempos, o rio Severn causou inundações na paróquia, principalmente em 1606. (nota 6) Também invadiu a paróquia e acrescentou terras a ela: c. 1615 o rio saiu alto e seco 30 a. que ficou conhecido como o warth de Bromwich, (nota 7) e em 1791, quando recentes esforços para prevenir invasões pela mudança de Severn se mostraram ineficazes, (nota 8) 15 a. da propriedade senhorial foi dito ter sido arrastado. (nota 9) Aparentemente existia uma pescaria senhorial no Severn c. 1225, quando Richard de Clifford concedeu um lugar para fazer seis putchers ou armadilhas para peixes perto de Buckpool (nota 10) e uma pescaria no Severn pertencia ao feudo em 1315. (nota 11) Em 1866, o senhor do feudo, HC Clifford, tinha redes no Severn e, embora não tenha registrado seu título para elas na Comissão de Pesca (nota 12), seu sucessor fez várias pescarias no rio em 1968. (nota 13 ) Em 1819, um 60 pés. baleia foi morta no Severn em Frampton. (nota 14)

Barcos no Severn, antes da abertura do Canal de Gloucester e Berkeley em 1827, (nota 15) colocaram em Frampton Pill, a foz do rio Cam com uma enseada no lado de Frampton que parece ter sido ampliada como uma bacia . (nota 16) Em 1668, um depósito para a recepção e venda de carvão foi construído ou proposto para ser construído no lado de Slimbridge de Frampton Pill (nota 17), que foi cruzado já em 1584 por uma ponte chamada Warth Bridge. (nota 18) A pílula estava sendo usada para descarregar carvão em 1770 (nota 19) e em 1781 a ponte precisou de conserto depois que um grande navio carvoeiro a quebrou. (nota 20) Em 1806, foram necessários mais reparos após o dano de uma barcaça quebrada (nota 21) e isso pode ter encorajado os habitantes de Frampton a construir uma ponte na extremidade superior do local de desembarque, onde seria menos vulnerável a barcos, mas onde em 1806 foi acusado de infringir os direitos dos habitantes de Slimbridge. (nota 22) Em 1815, os comissários de fechamento concederam aos paroquianos de Frampton um local de pouso gratuito na pílula de Frampton (nota 23) que foi substituído por um na margem do canal quando o canal foi construído. (nota 24) Algumas atividades marítimas dos habitantes de Frampton são mencionadas abaixo. (nota 25)

A floresta em Frampton foi registrada em 1086 (fn. 26) e em 1315 a propriedade senhorial incluía 40 a. de madeira de carvalho. (nota de 27) Um arrendamento de terra em Woodend, perto de Claypits, (nota de 28) em 1320 também deu permissão para derrubar árvores. (fn. 29) Bosque de 20 a. em Frampton park foi registrado em 1296 (nota de rodapé 30) e o lord's park, mencionado em 1434, (nota de nota 31) foi arrendado em 1499 para ser convertido em pasto. Quatrocentos carvalhos foram então reservados (nota 32), assim como 480 em outros arrendamentos do parque em 1543. (nota 33) O parque do senhor, no sul da paróquia, (nota 34) era distinto do parque de c. 50 a. que mais tarde se juntou a Frampton Court no leste. (nota de rodapé 35) As terras comuns da paróquia, incluindo campos abertos e extensos pastos pantanosos, foram encerrados por um processo gradual que culminou em um fechamento parlamentar de 1815. (nota de rodapé 36)

O cascalho que cobre uma grande parte da área da paróquia estava sendo escavado por volta de 1646. (nota 37) As cascalheiras, bastante grandes em 1879, (nota 38) foram muito ampliadas no início do século 20: linhas ferroviárias minerais foram construídos a sudeste até a principal linha férrea e a sudoeste até um cais no canal (nota 39), por meio do qual o cascalho foi carregado para Avonmouth, onde foi usado na construção das docas. (nota 40) Os trabalhos anteriores são marcados por tanques no centro da freguesia que foram usados ​​para navegar em 1968, quando outras fossas próximas estavam a ser exploradas e a empresa de gravilha tinha um depósito no canto oriental da freguesia. O barro da freguesia já foi utilizado para a fabricação de tijolos. Um pedreiro registrado em 1746 (nota 41) estava presumivelmente associado a uma olaria local, onde os tijolos, uma vez vendidos a 6s. 6d. mil, foram vendidos c. 1775 às 8s. (nota de rodapé 42) Um pátio de tijolos e um caldeirão ficavam logo a oeste da igreja em 1782 (nota de rodapé 43) e havia uma cova de argila posterior mais ao sul. (fn. 44) Os fabricantes de tijolos de Frampton foram registrados em meados do século 19 (fn. 45). Diz-se que muitas casas daquele período em paróquias vizinhas eram de tijolo de Frampton, o que é considerado insatisfatório devido à alta proporção de sal em o barro. (nota 46)

A boa drenagem fornecida pelo cascalho trouxe um assentamento precoce a Frampton. Evidências de ocupação pré-histórica e romano-britânica foram encontradas nas gravuras (nota 47) e é razoável supor que a colonização saxônica de Frampton foi relativamente precoce. A aldeia, no bairro noroeste da freguesia, forma um povoado longo e estreito com cerca de 1 milha de comprimento e distribuía-se ao longo de uma rua única e sinuosa no extremo sul e um largo verde de aldeia no extremo norte. No início do século 18, dizia-se que a vila compreendia duas partes, Church End e Frampton ou Rosamund's Green. (nota 48) Tal divisão pode ser representada por uma lacuna nas casas mais antigas, no ponto onde um riacho, uma vez atravessado por Ponte de Buckle, (nota 49) corre sob a rua da aldeia, mas faz com que a extremidade verde inclua algumas casas que estão de fato na rua.

Church End, com a igreja paroquial quase na extremidade sul da rua da vila, provavelmente representa o assentamento anterior: a posição da igreja, a localização da libra no lado sudoeste do cemitério, (nota 50 ) e o desnível do terreno em alguns dos terrenos desocupados de frente para a rua sugerem que uma proporção maior das casas da aldeia já se encontrava em Church End. As casas remanescentes incluem vários edifícios com estrutura de madeira, alguns dos quais mantêm o telhado de colmo. Eles incluem uma casa de cinco vãos com estrutura de arame, que foi reconstruída em grande parte em 1967, e havia um par de casas de armação de arame, demolidas em 1966, em frente à Fazenda Oegrove. (fn. 51) A Fazenda Oegrove é uma casa de dois andares construída em planta retangular no início do século XVII, com estrutura de madeira em painéis quadrados na frente com uma enorme empena sul de alvenaria de entulho. Um grande celeiro de sete vãos próximo à igreja tem paredes emolduradas em painéis quadrados regulares nos quais a vime não é rebocada. Duas casas com estrutura de madeira de um andar com sótão podem ser do início do século 16, uma delas tem uma sótão com duas águas e a outra tem pelo menos uma grande cinta de tensão. Na década de 1960, várias pequenas casas foram construídas discretamente em vãos entre as casas mais antigas em Church End e nos locais de chalés demolidos.

Frampton Green, ou Rosamund's Green, como veio a ser conhecido a partir de 1651, (nota 52) tem quase ½ milha de comprimento. No extremo sul, onde a rua da aldeia leva à igreja, as casas estão concentradas. No início da rua, entre os chalés de tijolos dos séculos 18 e 19, estão vários edifícios com estrutura de madeira: Tudor Cottage, que tem uma empena amurada para a rua, pode ser do século 15, e Greycroft tem um extremidade em frontão com estrutura cruckframed com aberturas bloqueadas em dois níveis. Mais abaixo na rua, a Buckholt House é uma casa de tijolos do século 18 de tamanho razoável com dois andares e sótãos de águas-furtadas, com uma proa em toda a altura no sul e ao lado dela, movida do lado oeste da casa, uma porta com fan-light, frontão e pilastras dóricas. Muitas das casas maiores da aldeia estão bem espaçadas ao longo dos dois lados do gramado. Eles incluem Frampton Court e Grange no lado leste e Manor Farm no lado oeste, que são discutidos abaixo, (nota 53) e algumas casas de tijolos do final do século 17 e 18, das quais a maior, Frampton Lodge em o canto nordeste do green, é de três andares e tem cornija em modilhões, cunhas compridas e curtas e portal com frontão. Existem também algumas casas com estrutura de madeira e colmo ao redor do gramado, incluindo uma perto do extremo sul contendo uma treliça.

O próprio verde manteve aquele 'ar de limpeza e cultivo' notado no final do século XVIII. Richard Clutterbuck, que drenou o verde em 1731 (nota de rodapé 54) e construiu uma nova estrada ao longo dele, geralmente recebeu o crédito por resgatá-lo do estado de um pântano (nota de 55), mas o verde foi descrito como 'a lugar muito agradável '20 anos antes. (nota 56)

Frampton-on-Severn c. 1800

A aldeia era relativamente grande e, de pequenas maneiras, funcionava como um centro para uma área que se estendia além dos limites da paróquia. Na Idade Média, Frampton tinha um mercado e uma feira. (nota 57) Uma tentativa no início do século 14 pelo senhor da mansão, Robert FitzPain, de criar um bairro de Frampton (nota 58) parece ter dado em nada. Não há registro de posse de burgo (nota 59). As únicas indicações possíveis que foram encontradas de uma tradição sobrevivente do status de bairro são uma acusação, no início do século 17, de usurpar os privilégios de um bairro (nota 60) e referências entre 1683 e 1718 às casas como sendo da freguesia. (nota 61) A alta proporção de ocupações não agrícolas em Frampton nos tempos mais recentes (nota 62) pode resultar da atratividade da aldeia como local de residência, não apenas para os comerciantes mais independentes, mas também para a pequena nobreza e profissionais que atrairiam outros comerciantes para cuidar deles. Thomas Daniel, licenciado em 1643 para exercer a medicina (nota 63), é o mais antigo conhecido de muitos médicos e cirurgiões em Frampton. (nota 64) Os habitantes em 1798 incluíam um contador, um cirurgião, dois marceneiros e um "entalhador". O entalhador foi John Pearce (nota 65) e monumentos fúnebres feitos por ele e por dois maçons posteriores de Frampton, Wilkins e Bennett, podem ser vistos nas igrejas do distrito. (nota de rodapé 66) Quatro clérigos, dos quais o vigário não era um, viviam em Frampton em 1842 (nota de rodapé 67) e, a partir de 1856, o grande número de residentes particulares deu emprego a profissões como químico, chapeleiro, professor de música , afinador de piano e comerciante de vinhos. (nota 68)

A contínua elegibilidade da aldeia levou à construção de várias casas modernas e à conversão de chalés e pequenas casas de fazenda em casas de classe média. A maior expansão da aldeia, no entanto, foi a construção, pelo conselho distrital rural, de uma propriedade de c. 200 casas ao norte do verde havia algumas pequenas casas lá no final do século 19 e uma fileira de casas do conselho foi construída antes da Segunda Guerra Mundial, mas a maioria das casas foi construída na década de 1960. Dos assentamentos periféricos, a maioria são casas de fazenda individuais. A Quinta do Parque, no canto sudeste da freguesia, foi construída no século XVII, uma casa de dois pisos com estrutura de madeira em grande parte oculta por trás de tijolos posteriores e renderizando-se em planta rectangular, com uma chaminé central de tijolos entre a porta da frente de um lado e do outro uma escada em forma de newel para o primeiro andar e sótão. Walk Farm, no canto norte da freguesia, foi talvez construída no mesmo período, um edifício de moldura quadrada erguido sobre um pedestal baixo de pedra e revestido de tijolo no início do século XIX. A Fazenda Nastfield (anteriormente Field), 1 milha a leste da igreja, foi construída pouco antes de 1777 (nota 69) em tijolos em um pedestal alto de silhar, e tem uma entrada frontal simétrica que quebra abaixo de um frontão com um alvo em branco no no centro, os suportes da cornija em modilhão e a plataforma são de terracota. Townfield Farm, entre Nastfield Farm e a vila, e duas casas de fazenda no canto leste da freguesia em Netherhills foram construídas com tijolos no final do século 18 ou início do século 19. A leste de Netherhills fica Fromebridge Mill, (fn. 70) com uma casa de moinho de tijolos processados ​​do século 18, que se diz ter sido uma pousada em meados do século 19, um par de cabanas talvez do mesmo período e uma fileira de sete chalés de dois quartos construídos c. 1800. Houve também uma casa de fazenda ou casas chamadas Woodend and Puddiford's, perto de Claypits (nota de rodapé 71), o nome Puddiford's lembra uma família com terras em Frampton no século 13 (nota de 72) e havia um pedaço de desperdício senhorial chamado Woodend Green, com uma casa ao lado, em 1782. (nota de rodapé 73) Em Oatfield, na estrada para Wheatenhurst, havia cinco casas em 1879, mais duas haviam sido construídas em 1920 (nota de nota 74) e eram ao todo 11 em 1968. A sudeste do extremo norte do green estão seis casinhas dos séculos XIX e XX.

A vila de Frampton está ligada a Arlingham, onde havia um antigo cruzamento do Severn, e à estrada Gloucester-Bristol por Perry Way, que segue a linha de uma estrada romana (nota 75) e foi registrada com esse nome em 1302 ( nota de rodapé 76) foi uma estrada com auto-estrada de 1726 a 1874, sob a mesma confiança da estrada Gloucester-Bristol. (nota 77) Essa estrada, marcando o limite sudeste, foi parcialmente reparada pela paróquia. (nota de 78) Cruzou o Frome por uma ponte chamada Ponte de Frome em 1328, (nota de 79) que deveria ser consertada pelo senhor do feudo e os homens de Frampton em 1378. (nota de 80) Havia planos para reconstruir a ponte em 1740 (nota 81) e c. 1867 (nota 82), época em que era uma ponte de condado. (nota 83) Melhorias nas estradas em meados do século 20 alteraram totalmente a ponte Frome e a ponte Wickster, pelas quais a estrada cruzava o riacho de Wickster 2 milhas a sudoeste. Ponte Wickster, gravada c. 1363 como fora de reparo (nota 84) foi consertada em 1675 (nota 85) e 1759 (nota 86) e em 1859 havia se tornado uma ponte de condado. (nota 87) Buckle Bridge e Warth Bridge são mencionados acima.

Em 1086, 27 pessoas em Frampton foram enumeradas (nota 88) e em 1327, embora apenas 12 pessoas tenham sido avaliadas pelos impostos, Frampton teve a avaliação mais alta em Whitstone cem. (nota 89) Frampton tinha 85 nomes, um a mais que Stonehouse, na lista de seleção de 1542, (nota 90) e dizia-se que havia 329 adultos em 1603. (nota 91) Pode ter havido um declínio em meados do século 17: enquanto 105 famílias foram dadas na declaração de 1650, (nota de rodapé 92) em 1672, apenas 47 casas foram avaliadas para o imposto sobre o lar (nota de registro 93) e o número de adultos foi de 249 em 1676 . (nota de rodapé 94) De 500 pessoas, vivendo em 100 casas, c. 1710 (nota 95) a população cresceu para 600 c. 1775 (nota de rodapé 96) e 860 em 1801. Continuou a crescer até 1831 e depois caiu de 1.055 para 730 em 1911. Posteriormente, houve um aumento constante para 1.096 em 1961 (nota de nota 97), mas em 1968 outros edifícios tiveram levou o total bem além desse valor.

Duas casas de abastecimento não licenciadas foram apresentadas em 1595 (nota 98) e a 'Cabeça de Javali' foi registrada em 1643. (nota 99) Havia duas cervejarias não licenciadas em 1667 (nota 100) e em 1689 Quarter Sessions determinaram que todas as cervejarias em Frampton serão suprimidas, exceto a Old Inn e a 'Crown'. Seis meses depois, uma ordem semelhante excluiu apenas o 'Nag's Head' e o 'Golden Heart', mas também foi declarado que a cervejaria perto da ponte (presumivelmente a ponte Buckle) deveria ser licenciada. (nota 101) Havia quatro abastecedores em 1755, (nota 102) um dos quais mantinha o Bell Inn na extremidade norte do gramado, registrado em 1740, (nota 103) reconstruído no século 19 e existente em 1968. Antes de 1807, havia uma cervejaria chamada 'Old Swan' (nota 104) e em 1838 havia uma taberna (o 'Bell') e 7 cervejarias. (nota 105) Além do 'Sino', havia três bares em 1939, (nota 106) dos quais as 'Três Ferraduras' permaneceram em 1968.

Os Voluntários de Frampton foram criados em 1798 sob Nathaniel Winchcombe de Frampton Court, e atraíram cerca de metade de seu número de nove paróquias vizinhas. Eles foram dissolvidos algum tempo depois de 1806. (nota de rodapé 107) Uma sociedade amigável esteve ativa de 1816 a 1843 ou mais tarde (nota de rodapé 108) e em 1842 seu dia de clube foi realizado na segunda-feira da festa de Frampton. (nota 109) A Festa de Frampton, a julgar pela data em que foi realizada, era uma sobrevivência da feira medieval. (nota de rodapé 110) Uma feira de prazeres no gramado foi realizada na época da festa, (nota de rodapé 111) e embora a festa tenha sido interrompida durante a Segunda Guerra Mundial, a feira de prazeres sobreviveu e a festa foi revivida em 1966. (fn. . 112) Um Instituto Literário e Mecânico, fundado em 1852, (nota 113) tornou-se extinto c. 1890. (nota 114) Algumas de suas atividades foram realizadas por um Instituto Paroquial, que mandou construir um salão em 1907 por um benfeitor anônimo. (nota 115) O salão permaneceu em uso ativo em 1968.

Em 1643-4, uma guarnição parlamentar em Frampton serviu para manter as forças monarquistas em Berkeley sob algum controle. (nota 116) Em 1662, uma tempestade excepcionalmente forte causou muitos danos à aldeia, destruindo uma casa e 12 celeiros e arrancando 357 árvores. (nota de rodapé 117) Em 1631 e 1650, os oponentes do fechamento causaram certa inquietação na paróquia (nota de rodapé 118) e em 1766 uma turba turbulenta de 50 pessoas começou a demolir a casa de John Sansum. (nota 119)

A história de Rosamund Clifford (d. c. 1176), (nota de rodapé 120) 'Fair Rosamund' de Henrique II, foi bordado a partir do século 14 com muitas lendas importadas (nota de rodapé 121) e preencheu muitas páginas com o propósito de contar a história de Frampton. (nota 122) Ela está autenticamente ligada à paróquia apenas pelo senhorio do feudo de seu pai Walter e por sua concessão à Abadia de Godstow, onde Rosamund foi enterrada, do moinho em Frampton para o bem das almas de sua esposa Margaret e sua filha Rosamund. (nota de 123) John Clifford (falecido em 1684) pode ter fomentado a história de Rosamund localmente: ele chamou uma de suas filhas de Rosamund, (nota de 124) teve seu pedigree copiado com a Rosamund original incluída, (nota de 125) e o primeiro uso registrado do nome Rosamund's Green (nota de rodapé 126) foi um ano após ele comprar sua propriedade em Frampton. (nota de rodapé 127) Ele pode ter sido responsável pela crença de que Rosamund nasceu em Fretherne Lodge, (nota de nota 128) onde seus ancestrais viveram, mas após a demolição daquela casa (nota de nota 129) Frampton Court (nota de nota 130 ) e, mais tarde, a parte de Manor Farm chamada Rosamund's Bower (nota de rodapé 131) foi considerada como seu local de nascimento.


Como a primeira ponte Severn mudou a construção de pontes para sempre

Todos os anos, milhões de motoristas usam a ponte Severn sem pensar duas vezes.

Mas quando foi construída há 51 anos, comentado há décadas, mudou o projeto da ponte pênsil para sempre.

Michael Parsons é o engenheiro sobrevivente mais experiente a trabalhar na estrutura listada de Grau I, que utilizou o M4 por 30 anos.

“Isso remonta à falha da ponte Tacoma Narrows na América, que falhou por causa de um fenômeno chamado vibração”, disse o homem de 89 anos.

“Quando começamos a construir as pontes Forth e Severn, percebemos que teríamos de resolver esse problema.”

Imagens famosas mostram a ponte do estado de Washington desabando em Puget Sound em 7 de novembro de 1940. Na época, era a terceira maior ponte suspensa do mundo.

Ele foi vítima de ventos de 40 mph poucos meses após a inauguração, em 1º de julho de 1940, e os engenheiros aqui sabiam que, devido aos ventos violentos que cruzavam o estuário do Severn, eles não poderiam suportar uma falha semelhante.

O plano para a ponte Severn era usar um projeto de treliça aberta que fortaleceria a faixa de rodagem.

Foi o que foi usado na ponte Forth, em Edimburgo. Foi o projeto dominante nos EUA, onde pode ser visto na ponte Golden Gate de São Francisco e na ponte do Brooklyn em Nova York.

As coisas não saíram conforme o planejado.

Michael disse: “Durante o teste, meu chefe, Gilbert Roberts, entrou em meu escritório e disse:‘ Parsons, estou indo para o Laboratório Físico Nacional, porque o modelo que eles estavam testando quebrou e quebrou. ’

“Este foi o modelo que desenvolvi para Sir Gilbert em uma treliça rasa.”

Logo o projeto, sendo executado por Freeman Fox & amp Partners e Mott, Hay & amp Anderson, teve que ir a concurso.


Gloucestershire

Em 25 de outubro de 1960, duas barcaças-tanque colidiram em meio a forte neblina perto de Sharpness, no rio Severn.

Eles foram pegos pela maré, perderam o controle e se chocaram contra um dos pilares da ponte.

A ponte desabou parcialmente e um dos barcos, que transportava gasolina, pegou fogo e explodiu.

O outro navio carregava uma carga de óleo negro que pegou fogo e ardeu por várias horas.

Cinco homens perderam a vida no desastre.

Agora, a pesquisa mostrou que pode ter sido uma perigosa corrente lateral que causou a colisão do Wastdale H e do Arkendale H.

Além disso, um relatório não visto anteriormente de uma investigação preliminar confidencial sobre o desastre afirma que um dos capitães era "inepto" no manuseio de seu navio.

No inquérito público formal, que se seguiu em maio de 1961, nenhum dos capitães do barco foi responsabilizado pelo acidente.

No entanto, ao pesquisar um documentário de rádio para marcar o 50º aniversário do desastre, o repórter da BBC Radio Gloucestershire Andy Vivian descobriu um novo conjunto de declarações e evidências escritas sobre o incidente nos Arquivos Nacionais em Kew.

O arquivo confidencial recolhido pela Divisão de Segurança Marítima da Câmara de Comércio, responsável por realizar uma investigação preliminar sobre o desastre, nunca tinha visto a luz do dia até agora.

O funcionário nomeado para realizar o inquérito foi P. W. Burgess, que era o inspetor sênior do porto de Bristol.

Os depoimentos que ele coletou fornecem mais detalhes de George Thompson e James Dew, os dois capitães envolvidos, a respeito das decisões que tomaram naquela noite, minutos depois que suas embarcações colidiram e se uniram.

In response to this report officials at the Board of Trade were fairly complementary about Thompson's handling of the Arkendale H but issued some tempered criticism of the decisions made by Dew on the Wastdale H.

The report to a superior of the Marine Safety Division of the Board of Trade, Capt J H Quick, from his inferior Capt A C Manson states: "Since the distance to the bridge was something less than half a mile they had thus a maximum period of six minutes in which to extricate themselves and regain control.

"Being able to sit calmly after the event and weigh up the circumstances, I am of the opinion that the best chance of getting out of this situation would have been given had the Wastdale gone full astern and the Arkendale full ahead on port helm.

"This would have brought them apart and helped to bring them head to tide. I believe that an anchor underfoot might also have assisted.

"The Arkendale's master did in fact go ahead on port helm but his efforts were nullified by Wastdale's full ahead on starboard helm.

"To the extent that he went ahead on starboard helm to "push the other vessel off" I consider that the master of the Wastdale displayed ineptitude in the handling of his vessel, but this was by no means culpable negligence."

Another factor which has not been highlighted before has also come to light, and suggests that a natural phenomenon peculiar to the stretch of river where it occurred may have contributed to the accident.

Dense fog on the night of the incident meant the vessels both dropped past the entrance to Sharpness harbour and found themselves further upstream than they should have been, having to battle against an incoming tide to regain the harbour entrance.

The area they found themselves in was half a mile upstream, near the entrance to Sharpness old dock, which had long since been blocked off.

The shore here juts out into the river and is known as Sharpness Point, and the tide runs much faster here.

Prior to the collision, both vessels were travelling roughly in parallel, with the Wastdale on the shore side.

The Arkendale may have been making more progress since Thompson talks about the Wastdale dropping back out of the fog.

Captain Thompson said that the Wastdale then sheered round to starboard and hit the Arkendale near the bow.

Up until now this collision has been put down to the difficulties caused by the fog.

Fred Larkham from Newnham, who is probably the most experienced river man on the Severn today, and who understands better than anyone the tides on this stretch of the river, says the tanker skippers would have been unfamiliar with a dangerous current which occurs north of Sharpness:

"At the old dock there is a strong tide and also the back eddy which causes problems. This is caused by the tide rushing by the pier and it takes a starboard turn and comes back into the shore and then back down the gully and runs out by the pier.

"This could push the bow off. It would spin you into the main flood tide. Maybe one or two round turns in the tide and you'd be up to the area where the collision occurred."

To mark the 50th anniversary of the disaster two memorial stones have been unveiled on the banks of the Severn.

One is situated at Lydney Docks and a second is located at Purton.

Relatives and friends of the crew who lost their lives were there at the unveiling.

The plaques and their dedication ceremonies were organised by Paul Barnett, chairman of Friends of Purton.

There is also a special exhibition about the disaster currently showing at the Dean Heritage Museum until 16 January 2011.

You can find out more about the Severn Bridge Disaster by listening to Andy Vivian's six-part documentary on BBC Radio Gloucestershire all next week (25-30 October 2010), and for seven days afterwards on the BBC iPlayer, on Chris Baxter's mid-morning programme and on Faye Hatcher's programme .

The Severn Bridge Disaster will also feature on BBC1's Inside Out (West) on Monday, 25 October, 2010. The programme will be available on the BBC iPlayer for 7 days after broadcast.


Design and Contract Preparations

Initial Design – Contract Preparations

Design work on the new crossing included further detailed studies, a hydraulic model to test pier positions, mathematical modelling, a bathymetric survey, and geotechnical and topographical surveys for the route corridors. Extensive research was carried out into wind shielding and also into climate change issues, which indicated a potential rise in sea levels. The viability of engineering concepts and innovations were confirmed, together with the buildability and quality of the scheme.

Extensive consultations were undertaken with all those affected to ensure that concerns were fully understood and positively addressed in the development of the scheme. Wide ranging studies were carried out into the existing environment, potential impacts were identified and removed where feasible, and proposals were developed for reducing remaining adverse impacts. The consultations also included navigation interests, industry, landscape advice, and the Royal Fine Arts Commission regarding the main bridge and other structures.

A series of public exhibitions was held in England and Wales in areas affected by the proposals, initially showing the results of the study and then the changes adopted as the design was developed to take account of local concerns and the results of surveys

Contract Arrangements

In April 1989, tenders were invited for the main crossing and toll Plaza. The tender details included highly detailed technical requirements, contractual/financial issues, constructional aspects, and environmental monitoring. Separate bids were sought for two possible scenarios:
(a) to design, construct and finance the crossing, and to assume responsibility for operating and maintaining both it and the existing Severn Bridge during a concession period, in return for the toll revenue from both bridges during that period, and
(b) to design and construct the new crossing in return for staged payments from the government.

In 1990, following a rigorous assessment of the tenders, the Government accepted, in principle, the proposal of Severn River Crossing plc to design, construct, finance and operate the second crossing. Severn River Crossing plc was a consortium set up specially to bid for the project. It included major investment banks, a British contractor, John Laing plc, and a French contractor, GTM Entrepose.

Obtaining Parliamentary Approval 1990 to 1992

Authority to build the scheme was obtained through Parliament. A hybrid Bill was used to seek the powers required to construct the estuary crossing and the approach roads, to compulsorily purchase the land, and to charge tolls. The Severn Bridges Bill was lodged in November 1990 and, after thorough examination of the scheme by Parliamentary Committees, Royal Assent was granted in early 1992. The immense value of the extensive and detailed consultations, with over 40 affected parties, was shown by the small number of formal objections that were presented against the Bill. A Concession Agreement, between the Government and Severn River Crossing Plc, was signed and construction was started in Spring 1992.

Final Design for the Second Crossing. 1992 to 1993

The Second Crossing is comprised of a cable stayed bridge spanning the main navigation channel, with a two kilometre length of approach viaduct on either side. At 5 kilometres, it was the longest river crossing of this type in the country.

The Viaducts.

There are 20 spans of approach viaduct on either side of the main bridge and each span is made up of 27 separate units of hollow concrete box girder, tensioned together using high tensile steel strands.

The Shoots Bridge.

The centre-piece of this crossing of the Estuary is the cable stayed bridge over the main navigation channel, known as the Shoots. The main channel resembles a steep sided trench at this location and, although it is only about 300m wide at the base, the pylon legs had to be set back, well away from the top edge of the trench, to ensure stability. After careful consideration, a main span of 456m was agreed upon. At the time of its design, there were no cable stayed bridges operating anywhere in the world with a longer span, although the Pont de Normandie in France was well under construction with a span of 856m.

Other Works

Outline of the Second Bridge

In parallel with these activities, the detailed design of the motorway approach roads was undertaken and tender documents were prepared. This work included the resolution of many issues affecting areas local to the roads, dealing with environmental, landscaping and community issues, and incorporating a wide range of mitigation measures.

Tenders for the approach roads were invited in October 1992 and contracts were awarded in time for construction to start in Spring 1993. The challenge was to construct the second crossing and the approach roads in time for an opening in 1996.

Next Page


Short but fascinating walk, mainly along the Severn flood defences. Iconic views of the two Severn Bridges dominate the landscape.

The first Severn Bridge is a suitably impressive place to begin a journey around the British coastline. Completed in 1966, it is 1.6 km long, and spans 888m between the two towers. Each tower is 168m high and bears the weight of almost 12,000 tonnes. The bridge took two years and £8m to build. It is a breathtaking piece of engineering.

Contrary to widespread belief, the land you can see on the far side of the bridge is not Wales, but part of Gloucestershire.

From the Bridge, we descended the footpath towards Aust. A short path to the left crossed the top of the motorway toll booths to reach Severn View motorway service station, but we continued to the river’s edge, briefly visiting the village of Aust on the way.

We reached the Severn at Old Passage. At first glance, this seems an inconsequential collection of a few houses, but there is more history here than meets the eye.

On the bend by the Severn is Old Passage House. It stands out from the rest of the buildings, and its size and elevation suggest it may have been a hotel serving the ferry that ran from here in earlier times. The building, parts of which date from the sixteenth century, and the ferry are depicted in an eighteenth century painting (below). But just Como as ancient is this ferry service?

We know that a rival ferry, at New Passage (a few miles downstream) , was in existence in 1727. This was the year that Daniel Defoe, author of Robinson Crusoe, published his Tour Thro’ the Whole Island of Great Britain, in which he expressed a clear preference for the newer ferry,

“There is also a little farther, an ugly, dangerous, and very inconvenient ferry over the Severn, to the mouth of Wye namely, at Aust the badness of the weather, and the sorry boats, at which, deterr’d us from crossing there.”

Perhaps his disdain is justified, for we know that at least three ferries from Old Passage were lost with all hands, in 1839 and 1844 and 1855.

Manorial records show that the ferry was in use as far back as the 1100s. It is also known that the Romans shipped men across the Severn somewhere along this section of coast, and it has been suggested, very plausibly, that the name Aust derives from Augustus, the Roman emperor. It is possible that Old passage, as a ferry site, has a very long history indeed.

Unable to compete with the new railways, the ferry closed in the 1860s. It gained a new lease of life, however, with the rise of the motor car, and reopened in 1926. It served as the only car ferry across the Severn for nearly forty years, until finally closing on 8th September, 1966, the day before the Severn Bridge opened.

Bob Dylan at Aust ferry, 1966

There are many photographs of the Aust car ferry available, including several in the Francis Frith collection. One of the more famous photographs is the one used to publicise Martin Scorcese’s 2005 documentary film of Bob Dylan, No Direction Home. If you look carefully at the photo, just above the car, you can see the Severn Bridge, which opened about three months after this photograph was taken.

After possibly two thousand years as a crossing-point, the remains of Aust ferry today seems quite poignant:

At low tide, it is possible to walk along the beach from here under the Severn Bridge, and beyond towards Gloucester. We walked as far as the Bridge. There was lots of mud. Midge likes mud.

Behind the beach rises Aust Cliff. Although not particularly high, the cliff is remarkable for the different strata of rock visible as horizontal bands across the face. The lowest red mudstones are around 250 million years old, and are evidence of dry conditions, when wind-blown red dust was deposited on sun-baked mudflats. The white layer near the bottom of the cliff is gypsum, created when salt-rich lakes, trapped in this desert, evaporated. Later, around 205 million years ago, huge volcanic activity split the single continental plate apart, and the red mudstones of Aust were flooded by the Jurassic Sea. Over the next few million years, debris on the sea-bed formed into the layer of white limestone near the top of the cliff. Thousands of fossils of marine animals have been found in this layer this was, after all, the Jurassic era, the age of the dinosaurs, when there was an explosion of new life-forms on our planet.

Everything on this fascinating section of coastline seems to have a story, or deserve mention. Electric pylons are not normally noteworthy on a walk that is not the case here. At 148m high, the pylons to the west of the Severn Bridge are not quite the tallest in the country, but they carry the longest powerline span anywhere in the UK. They are more than a mile apart.

Walking back through Old Passage, we resumed our walk westwards. A stretch of quiet road led to a footpath along the top of the bank that forms the flood defences for this part of Gloucestershire. To our right was the large expanse of the Severn floodplain, a haven for birds. Beyond, as a backdrop, was the Second Severn Crossing.

Not unexpectedly, because of the birdlife it attracts, part of the saltmarsh has been granted special protection. The Pilning Wetland Reserve is a Ramsar site, as well as a Site of Special Scientific Interest. According to a noticeboard, over 240 species of birds have been recorded here, including curlews, dunlin, turnstones, and bar-tailed godwit.

Since Old Passage, we had been following the Severn Way, a 220-mile long-distance footpath that I walked some years go. It is a brilliant path, following the River Severn from its source high in the Plynlimon Hills, through Llanidloes, Shrewsbury, Worcester, Tewkesbury, and Gloucester, until eventually reaching the Bristol Channel. It used to end at Severn Beach, but has since been extended to the centre of Bristol. Being of similar length and similar focus, it invites comparison with the Thames Path National Trail. I think the Severn Way is the superior trail, but others may disagree. You can get to know the Severn Way by visiting Paul & Pam’s blog they have been walking the trail from its start, and will soon be finished!

The boat depicted on the Severn Way waymarks is a Severn trow, a cargo vessel unique to the River Severn. These craft were specially designed for river use, with flat bottoms and wide bilges. Despite a long history, they have not been used for almost a century, and today it is more common to see small hovercraft on the lower reaches of the Severn.

The pleasant path alongside the marshes led to New Passage, consisting of a few modern houses. diferente Old Passage, there is no sign of the ferry which used to run from here. It closed shortly after the Severn Railway Tunnel was opened in 1886, and we have only an eighteenth century painting to suggest its whereabouts. The hotel in the picture was demolished in the 1970s.

Just beyond New Passage is the Second Severn road bridge, built between 1992 and 1996 to relieve pressure on the first Severn Bridge. At 3¼ miles, it is the longest bridge in the UK. Personally, though, I don’t find it as graceful a structure as the original Severn Bridge. It carries approximately 20 million vehicles a year, three times as many as the older Bridge.

Unseen, the Severn railway tunnel runs beneath Severn Beach. Part of the Great Western Railway, it was the longest railway tunnel in the UK for more than a century, until the Channel tunnel link was built under London in 2007. It is over 4 miles long.

We followed the flood wall beneath the motorway bridge, which shortly led to the village of Severn Beach. Severn Beach has an unusual history, in that it was created in 1922, from sratch, as a seaside resort conveniently located near the railway. It was popular with Bristolians for many years, although has recently declined. Most of the attractions have closed, and the village is now little more than a commuter village for Bristol.

Having reached Severn Beach railway station, this was the end of our first, rather short, day of walking the coast. We had not actually planned to begin walking until tomorrow, but took advantage of a glorious evening to begin the journey. The railway goes no further east than Severn Beach, and we had no accommodation, so there was little alternative but to turn around and re-trace our steps. However, in this warm evening, the sky was coloured with pastel shades of yellows and pinks, and the walk back was no hardship.

Distance = 6½ miles Ascent = 16 metres

Tomorrow, we have a full day for walking, and it is a section I am looking forward to. Initially following the coast to Avonmouth, we will then head south to follow the River Avon into the heart of Bristol. This walk will be the subject of my next blog.


Gloucestershire

On the night of 25th October 1960 - a Tuesday - 16 vessels, many carrying cargos of oil from Swansea or petrol from Avonmouth, were heading up the Severn aiming to enter Sharpness Harbour on the late tide.

At 9.15pm, about a mile before Sharpness they encountered a very dense fog, rolling off the Berkeley bank.

Trying to find the harbour entrance while avoiding collision with other vessels, two of the tankers drifted past Sharpness and found themselves half a mile upstream where the river narrows and the tide flows faster.

They were the Arkendale H and the Wastdale H, both owned by John Harker Ltd. The Wastdale was carrying a cargo of 350 tons of petrol, the Arkendale a similar quantity of heating oil.

It was now gone 10pm and both vessels were battling against the strong tide to regain the harbour entrance. The fog was so dense that they were just yards apart when they saw each other.

At about 10.20, their bows touched and the two vessels were immediately sucked together along their entire length. Unable to draw apart, they were spun clockwise and driven upriver by the tide where, minutes later, they collided with the 17th pier of the Severn Railway Bridge, sending it flying into the river.

The two spans supported by the pier, crashed onto the tankers below. A spark ignited the petrol that was now pouring from the damaged Wastdale and soon the whole river was a mass of flames as oil from the Arkendale added to the conflagration.

Fortunately, the last train of the day had passed over the bridge just a few minutes before the accident. It was a close run thing.

By the time the train reached Sharpness, the bridge was no longer intact. The two tankers, dragging several hundred feet of railway line were brought to a halt on a sandbank just above the bridge.

In the water the crew were swept upstream by the tide and their cries for help could be heard from both banks. Disoriented by the swirling waters it was over an hour before one of them, George Thompson - captain of the Arkendale, managed to swim to the bank at Awre.

About an hour later, carried back downriver by the ebbing tide, a second, Jim Dew - captain of the Wastdale, reached the Forest shore near the bridge and presented himself naked at a local pub.

Several local boatmen told the police it was too dangerous to launch a dinghy and more substantial rescue craft were trapped inside harbour gates by the falling tide. But despite the dangers, on each bank there were brave men who launched small rowing boats in search of survivors.

On the Forest side, father and son Walter and Mike Cadogan from Awre, searched in vain. But Tommy Carter and Charles Henderson, setting off from the eastern bank, rowed right across the river to a point below the bridge where they heard the cries of Jack Cooper, the engineer on the Arkendale, whom they rescued and carried safely to Lydney harbour.

The five other crew members did not survive and it was many days before all their bodies were retrieved.

For two years there was a plan to rebuild the bridge and school children from Sharpness and Berkeley continued to attend Lydney grammar school thanks to a special train via Gloucester laid on by British Railways. But this was the era of Beeching and sometime after 1962 the plans were quietly dropped, bringing to a close the link between the communities of Lydney and Sharpness which had lasted for over 80 years since the bridge was completed in 1879.

It was several years before the bridge was finally demolished one firm went bust in the process. Now just the stone tower which supported the swing section over the canal remains and, of course, the two wrecks are still to be seen at low tide resting in their sandy grave.


7 Iconic Bridges of England

The best of England’s magnificent bridges span the ages standing strong, connecting communities and creating vital access across our waterways.

Here we take a look at seven of England’s finest bridges, and what makes them special:

1. Humber Bridge, Hull, Grade I listed

At 1,410 metres long, the Humber Bridge was the longest single-span suspension bridge in the world when it was built in 1981, a record it maintained for 16 years. It remains in the top ten longest spans worldwide and is the longest that you can walk across.

The bridge is supported by massive cables – almost enough cable to go round the earth twice. Despite its enormous size and strength, the Humber Bridge has an elegance that is in harmony with the landscape. The sandy concrete towers and muted deck, echo the colours of the reeds, grass, pebbles and sand of the shores and muddy brown of the Humber it crosses.

2. Clifton Suspension Bridge, Bristol. Grau I listado

Spanning the Avon Gorge in Bristol, the Clifton Suspension Bridge is famously known to be based on a design by Isambard Kingdom Brunel. However, little is reported about the contribution by a woman who was one of the foremost engineering, inventing and designing minds of the Georgian era.

Sarah Guppy was a prolific inventor, patenting a design for safe foundations for bridges ‘whereby the danger of being washed away by floods is avoided.’ This patent for piling foundations came into being in 1811 and formed the blueprint for the iconic bridge that Brunel would design 19 years later.

Before the bridge was completed in the 1850s, intrepid passengers could cross the gorge in a basket slung from an iron bar. It has been the location of the first bungee jump in 1979 and the last ever Concorde flypast in 2003.

3. Severn Bridge, Gloucestershire, Grau I listado

A physical embodiment of the near 500 year union between England and Wales, the 1966 Severn River Crossing is granted the highest level of protection by listing. It was the first bridge in the world to use the revolutionary concept of a streamlined deck and inclined hangers, and an early example of a fully welded steel deck. The structure is a symbol of the industrial heritage of South Wales which it is the gateway to, and where some of the country’s wealth was quite literally forged, providing infrastructure for the whole British Empire.

Before the bridge opened in 1966, people waited in their cars for the jeopardous trip on the car ferry in Aust, to avoid a 60 mile round trip to Gloucester. A promotional image for Martin Scorsese’s film No Direction Home, about the life of Bob Dylan, features an image of Dylan standing in front of the ferry terminal in May 1966, not long before it closed for good. The Severn bridge can be seen almost complete in the background.

4. Tees Transporter Bridge, Grau II * listado

The Tees Transporter or Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge has become a landmark that embodies the town it which it stands. It was the largest bridge of its kind when it was finished in 1911 and remains the longest existing transporter bridge in the world at 851 feet long.

The bridge is one of only six known operational transporter bridges remaining in the world, three of which are in Britain. During World War II the superstructure of the bridge was hit by a bomb but despite this, the gondola and The Transporter Bridge are still running in perfect order.

5. Iron Bridge, Telford, Shropshire, Grade I listed

The Iron Bridge in Shropshire is a symbol of the dawn of the industrialised age – the world’s first bridge made from cast iron.
It was built by Abraham Darby III to join the towns of Coalbrookdale and Broseley across the River Severn. The Darby family had produced iron goods like cooking pots and tram rails for some time, and perfected the technique of smelting iron with coke, allowing for cheaper production.

The bridge itself was cast at Darby’s ironworks in Coalbrookdale, a venture that would put Abraham Darby III in debt for the rest of his life. The bridge was opened to traffic in 1781 and was in use until 1934. It now stands as a monument to the industrial revolution.

6. Tyne Bridge, Tyneside, Grau II * listado

The defining symbol of Tyneside, the Tyne Bridge was the biggest single-span bridge in the UK when it was opened by George V in 1928. The structure was built using shipbuilding techniques with rivets and panels welded together. It was a mammoth task and the workmen risked their lives to construct the crossing – working up to 200 feet above the river without safety harnesses or ropes. Despite the dangers of the job, only one worker died during construction.

The bridge and nearby structures are used as a nesting site by a colony of around 700 pairs of black-legged kittiwakes, the furthest inland in the world.

7. Tower Bridge, London, Grau I listado

One of the most recognisable bridges in the world, Tower Bridge takes 61 seconds to open, which it does around 1,000 times a year. When it was built in 1886, it was the largest and most sophisticated bascule bridge (a bridge with a section which can be raised and lowered using counterweights) ever completed.

Originally, the hydraulics used to open the bridge were powered by steam, then in 1976 they were replaced by ones powered by electricity and oil.